The first Neighborhood Guild Association began when Miss Anna B. Keagle, both a high school teacher and Sunday school teacher in the Flytown neighborhood, discovered all her 8-10 year old charges were in jail one Sunday. In November of 1898, she and fourteen others of the Association became neighborhood activists and rented half a double on West Goodale Street. By June 1899 they outgrew the house. In 1900 The Association set out to build a commodious settlement house. Various Trustees raised $6,000 to buy land, and Henry C. Godman of the Godman Shoe Company gave $10,000 for the building fund. Construction began in May 1900 and was completed in November.
Information provided by the Godman Guild.