Store #: 32
Opening date: Sept. 9, 1959
Closing date: 2004
There now: Roses
The store’s sign and signature bear logo lit up with the street lamps.
Big Bear was known for its trading-stamp program, which predated store loyalty cards used by many grocers today. Customers collected orange and blue Buckeye stamps and traded them in for prizes at in-store redemption counters.
The History of Big Bear Stores
Former Big Bear Stores Co. president Stephen Breech and historian Doreen Uhas Sauer reminisce about the Columbus company, its growth to 65 grocery stores and numerous department stores across multiple states, the sale of the company and its eventual demise.