Store #: 22
Opening date: July 20, 1954
Closing date: December 1995
There now: Closed OfficeMax
The first Big Bear store in the Graceland Shopping Center was located at 165 Graceland Blvd.
The store design was similar to other locations Big Bear opened in the mid-1950s.
A live bear drew customers to the store’s grand opening.
Big Bear Stores Co. founder Wayne Brown visited the store for its first remodeling in 1960. The store was renovated again in 1984.
The History of Big Bear Stores
Former Big Bear Stores Co. president Stephen Breech and historian Doreen Uhas Sauer reminisce about the Columbus company, its growth to 65 grocery stores and numerous department stores across multiple states, the sale of the company and its eventual demise.