WWII Memorial Replaced by Bridge
In 1941, soon after the establishment of Memory Lane, America entered WWII. The Woman’s Club offered to plant trees along Memory Lane in the names of those lost during the war. In a very short time, over 110 trees were planted with plaques honoring these men. Each tree had a plaque placed beneath it referencing the man’s name and rank. One plaque simply honored the “Clintonville Boys.”
In the 1980s, the City made the decision to widen West North Broadway in preparation for the implementation of State Route 315. The memorial was removed and put in storage. The WWII plaques were mounted to a stone and placed in Union Cemetery years later.