login | register
Whitehall
In the nineteenth century, Robert Brotherton of White Hall, England obtained a 156-acre plot of land, located between Alum Creek and Big Walnut Creek. A portion of the property became the site of Ye Olde Whitehall Tavern, a popular overnight stagecoach stop along the famous National Road. In the late nineteenth century, the land and tavern were sold to Abram Doney. A small farm community developed and the name “Whitehall” was unofficially adopted. In 1910, Abram’s son, Samuel, inherited the entire estate and sold it in one-acre lots, creating what is now known as “Old Whitehall.” After World War II, the demand for housing by returning veterans gave rise to residential construction, which includes the twin singles and townhouses of English Village and Parklawn manor and the single-family prefabricated homes in the Norton Field subdivision. In the early 1950s, Whitehall was the nation’s fastest growing city. Overall, population jumped from 4,077 in 1950 to 20,818 in 1960. Today, population has leveled at approximately 20,500.
cfiles3135


About This Neighborhood:

In the nineteenth century, Robert Brotherton of White Hall, England obtained a 156-acre plot of land, located between Alum Creek and Big Walnut Creek. A portion of the property became the site of Ye Olde Whitehall Tavern, a popular overnight stagecoach stop along the famous National Road. In the late nineteenth century, the land and tavern were sold to Abram Doney.

A small farm community developed and the name “Whitehall” was unofficially adopted. In 1910, Abram’s son, Samuel, inherited the entire estate and sold it in one-acre lots, creating what is now known as “Old Whitehall.” After World War II, the demand for housing by returning veterans gave rise to residential construction, which includes the twin singles and townhouses of English Village and Parklawn manor and the single-family prefabricated homes in the Norton Field subdivision. In the early 1950s, Whitehall was the nation’s fastest growing city.

Overall, population jumped from 4,077 in 1950 to 20,818 in 1960. Today, population has leveled at approximately 20,500.

Recent Posts

  • Default
  • Title
  • Date
  • Random
load more / hold SHIFT key to load all load all