login | register
Hilltop
The Hilltop was originally known as Sullivant’s Hill and was slowly sold to other owners by the Sullivant family who had originally settled there after family patriarch Lucas Sullivant was given the land for his service to the federal government as a surveyor near the end of the eighteenth century. Sullivant Avenue is now a major road in the area. Hilltop was once the site of the Columbus State Hospital for the Insane. Groundbreaking for the massive, Victorian structure was presided over by then-governor Rutherford B. Hayes in 1870; construction took an additional seven years to complete. The hospital remained in service until the late 1980s, despite falling into severe disrepair. It was demolished in 1997 and new Ohio Department of Transportation and Ohio Department of Public Safety facilities were built near its former location. Four patient cemeteries of the Columbus State Hospital still exist in Hilltop.
Hilltop


About This Neighborhood:

The Hilltop was originally known as Sullivant’s Hill and was slowly sold to other owners by the Sullivant family who had originally settled there after family patriarch Lucas Sullivant was given the land for his service to the federal government as a surveyor near the end of the eighteenth century. Sullivant Avenue is now a major road in the area.

Hilltop was once the site of the Columbus State Hospital for the Insane. Groundbreaking for the massive, Victorian structure was presided over by then-governor Rutherford B. Hayes in 1870; construction took an additional seven years to complete. The hospital remained in service until the late 1980s, despite falling into severe disrepair. It was demolished in 1997 and new Ohio Department of Transportation and Ohio Department of Public Safety facilities were built near its former location. Four patient cemeteries of the Columbus State Hospital still exist in Hilltop.

Recent Posts

  • Default
  • Title
  • Date
  • Random
load more / hold SHIFT key to load all load all