login | register
Clintonville
  1. In 1941, soon after the establishment of Memory Lane, America entered WWII. The Woman’s Club offered to plant trees along Memory Lane in the names of those lost during the war. In a very short time, over 110 trees were planted with plaques honoring these men. Each tree had a plaque placed beneath it referencing the man’s name and rank. One plaque simply honored the “Clintonville Boys.”

    In the 1980s, the City made the decision to widen West North Broadway in preparation for the implementation of State Route 315. The memorial was removed and put in storage. The WWII plaques were mounted to a stone and placed in Union Cemetery years later.

    bridge
  2. In 1949, Clintonville gained Whetstone Park, now a neighborhood landmark that spans some 136 acres. During a time of great urban development, Columbus mayor James A. Rhodes purchased the land and preserved it for public use and enjoyment.
    whetstone park sign
  1. roses
    Three years after the opening of Whetstone Park, came the addition of the Park of Roses, a garden that today has more than 400 variations of rose flowers for the public to enjoy.
  2. graceland shopping centerIn 1954, Graceland Shopping Center was opened on the site of a former horse farm previously owned by well-known underworld characters Pat Murnan and Grace Backenstoe. The center was home to large stores including a J.C. Penney and a Big Bear supermarket.
  1. In 1979, Columbus City Schools closed North High School due to declining enrollment and a need to balance out the closings of two predominantly African-American high schools.
    Screen Shot 2014-01-24 at 1.47.00 PM