login | register

Explore by Central Ohio Neighborhood


There are a number of ways to search this site. You can use the search options in the right column below or scroll down this page to browse the Central Ohio neighborhoods. Click on any neighborhood to see all the items and galleries connected to that neighborhood.

  • Bexley




    Bexley’s rapidly developing Main Street commercial corridor welcomes residents and visitors to the historic Drexel Theatre, wide-ranging dining options, art venues, and unique shopping destinations. Incorporated as a village in 1908, Bexley is an old tree-lined suburb located on the banks of Alum Creek next to Driving Park or Wolfe Read More

  • Brewery District




    Located just south of the central business district, the Brewery District has a history stretching nearly 200 years. It is bounded by Interstate 70 on the north, Pearl Street on the east, Greenlawn Avenue on the south, and the Scioto River on the west. The first brewery was opened by Read More

  • Canal Winchester




    Canal Winchester is located 15 miles southeast of Columbus. It is named in part for the Ohio & Erie canal which went through the area beginning in 1831. The village was incorporated in 1866. Canal Winchester is located 15 miles southeast of Columbus. It is named in part for the Ohio Read More

  • Clintonville




    The community of Clintonville developed as the center of Clinton Township (named for the U.S. Vice President George Clinton), part of the land grants given to Continental Army soldiers in lieu of pensions in what used to be Wyandotte Indian territory. The area served as a stop on the Underground Read More

  • Columbus




    Sometimes home is just home and my neighborhood is a neighborhood called Columbus. Named in honor of Christopher Columbus, Ohio’s capital city was founded on February 14, 1812, on the “High Banks opposite Franklinton at the Forks of the Scioto known as Wolf’s Ridge.” Once a deep forest, today Columbus Read More

  • Downtown




    Columbus’s historical roots are firmly planted in Franklinton, Central Ohio’s first settlement, and the downtown area, the seat of state government. It’s the story of determined pioneers, devastating floods, a vision for a state capital rising from higher ground, and flourishing theatres, churches, businesses, and government buildings. Show options Hide Read More

  • Dublin




    Dublin dates back to 1802 and began to flourish by 1810 when John Sells brought his family to the Ohio. John Shields, Sells’s partner, named the village after his birthplace of Dublin, Ireland. In the 1970s, Dublin was transformed from a rural village into a suburban business center, due largely to Read More

  • Eastmoor




    Eastmoor was platted after World War I in the 1920s around an existing polo field. The area expanded after World War II in the 1950s. It is located between the cities of Bexley and Whitehall and bounded by Broad street on the north and Livingston on the south. Eastmoor is Read More

  • Franklin Park




    The Franklin Park neighborhood is bounded on the north by Broad Street, on the south by Main Street, on the west by Wilson Avenue and the east by Alum Creek. Franklin Park Conservatory was built in 1895. It sits on 88 acres of land which was once the site of Read More

  • Franklinton




    Columbus’s historical roots are firmly planted in Franklinton, Central Ohio’s first settlement, and the downtown area, the seat of state government. It’s the story of determined pioneers, devastating floods, a vision for a state capital rising from higher ground, and flourishing theatres, churches, businesses, and government buildings. Show options Hide Read More

  • Gahanna




    Known as the “Herb Capital of Ohio,” Gahanna was founded along the Big Walnut Creek in 1849; the name Gahanna is derived from a Native American word for three creeks joining into one and is the former name of the Big Walnut Creek. Gahanna offers all of the sights and Read More

  • German Village




    In 1796, Congress appropriated the Refugee Lands for individuals who had supported the Colonial cause in the American Revolution. By 1802, an American Revolution veteran named John McGowan claimed 328 acres, most of what would become the German Village. By 1830, massive German immigration to the city had occurred, and Read More

  • Grandview Heights




    In 1842, the present Grandview Heights area was divided into 12 plots, with county roads situated at the locations of Dublin Road, Olentangy River Road, and Fifth Avenue. The first school was established at the corner of Dublin and Grandview Avenue (unofficially called Walcutt’s School), and its designation was Franklin Read More

  • Grove City




    Grove City is a self-made community created from humble pioneer origins. As the nineteenth century began, the area where Grove City sits today was a wilderness filled with oak, beech, maple, walnut, dogwood and other trees. The town founders named the village for the remaining groves of trees left standing Read More

  • Groveport




    In 1846, an argument smoldered between Jacob B. Wert and William H. Rarey. Four years previously, Wert had laid out Wert’s Grove, and Rarey had laid out Rarey’s Port, with only a section line dividing the two settlements. Each of these men was determined that his name should be perpetuated Read More

  • Harrison West




    Harrison West belongs to the cluster of historic districts on the Near Northside that also includes Grandview and Victorian Village. The neighborhood was first established in the late nineteenth century as a brick road hamlet for working-class families. Following a decline in the 1970′s, the Harrison West neighborhood has since Read More

  • Hilliard




    Geographically, the Hilliard area is between Big Darby Creek on the west and the Scioto River on the east. Originally called Hilliard’s Station, the town grew around the railroad route of the Piqua and Indiana Railroad station, which bisected the former Hilliard farmland. The original train station has been restored Read More

  • Hilltop




    The Hilltop was originally known as Sullivant’s Hill and was slowly sold to other owners by the Sullivant family who had originally settled there after family patriarch Lucas Sullivant was given the land for his service to the federal government as a surveyor near the end of the eighteenth century. Read More

  • Italian Village




    The Italian Village area was one of Columbus’ first suburbs, annexed to the city of Columbus in 1862.In the early 1970s, residents of Italian Village took action against the deteriorating physical condition of the area and the threat of having more and more historic buildings demolished. Residents and property owners, Read More

  • King-Lincoln




    Once the cultural and commercial heart of Columbus for African Americans, this neighborhood is poised for rebirth. The restoration of the King-Lincoln Theatre was one of the most anticipated projects in the city. Now completed, it joins the King Arts Complex in shaping and developing this historic neighborhood. King-Lincoln still Read More

  • Linden




    Linden is in the northeastern part of Columbus. It extends south to north from 8th Avenue to Ward Road and west to east from Conrail tracks to Joyce Avenue/Westerville Road. The neighborhood is officially bounded on the south, west and east by Conrail-operated railroads. Hudson Street divides the neighborhood into Read More

  • Merion Village




    Merion Village is a diverse historic neighborhood located just south of German Village along High Street and Parsons Avenue. First settled by Nathaniel Merion in 1809, the area was built into the industrial hotbed of a growing industrial city. Many of the residents of Merion Village have roots that go Read More

  • Minerva Park




    Minerva Park began as an amusement park in 1895 and lasted until 1902. In 1926 the first homes were built in the neighborhood and it was incorporated as a village in 1940. Minerva Park is bounded by Maplewood Drive to the south, Cleveland Avenue to the west, Wildwood Road to Read More

  • New Albany




    A pedestrian-friendly village square anchored by a library, restaurants, shops and offices, with signature distinctive white horse fences, the Village of New Albany was founded in 1837. The village boasts a growing number of specialized medical practices. Other attractions include: The Jeanne B. McCoy Community Center for the Arts, The Read More

  • North Linden




    Hudson street divides the Linden area into North and South Linden. North Linden is bounded by Cooke and Ferris roads to the north, the Contrail tracks west of I-70 on the west and the Conrail tracks east of Cleveland Avenue on the east. The area was originally part of a Read More

  • Northland




    Just east of I-71 along Morse Road within the I-270 outerbelt, Northland best known to Columbus residents as home to the now-defunct Northland Mall, which was open from 1964 to 2003, and Northland High School. Although the area is often grouped into the vague region of “North Columbus,” Northland would Read More

  • Olde Towne East




    Barons, bankers, and industrialists have made their home in this neighborhood since the 1830s. Olde Towne East is one of the city’s largest historic neighborhoods, and over 50 architectural styles can be found here. Today, all kinds of people live in Olde Towne East, and its many charms include beautiful Read More

  • Reynoldsburg




    Reynoldsburg’s Tomato Festival is the hallmark event of the summer. Held each year in September, the festival celebrates Reynoldsburg’s place in history as the “Birthplace of the tomato.” The tomato was ‘born’ in Reynoldsburg in the nineteenth century with the help of local son Alexander W. Livingston. His legacy lives Read More

  • Short North




    The story of one of the city’s most vibrant and exciting neighborhoods includes the tale of the arches, the rise—and abrupt fall—of Union Station, an incredible reunion of Civil War soldiers, the transformation of a tough, gritty neighborhood to an arts district, and the emergence of local festivals and traditions Read More

  • South Side




    Columbus Neighborhoods, the Emmy award-winning documentary series and community engagement project, returns this fall with the premiere of South Side on Monday, September 16 at 8 p.m. on WOSU TV. Show options Hide options Additional options Avoid highways Avoid tolls KM Miles Get DirectionsPrint Directions About This Neighborhood:   Once Read More

  • University District




    Town meets gown in this urban area encompassing the neighborhoods around The Ohio State University. The Old North was the first neighborhood here, and a series of remarkable transformations has seen this area change from farm to campus to streetcar suburbs to a center of education, recreation, and culture. The Read More

  • Upper Arlington




    The City of Upper Arlington was incorporated in 1918 and has grown into a primarily residential community of approximately 34,000 residents. The city is located on relatively high ground located between the Olentangy and Scioto rivers. Two ravines cut through the city; The Slate Run in the northwest corner, and Read More

  • Victorian Village




    Victorian Village, which runs along Neil Avenue south of The Ohio State University and northwest of downtown Columbus, is one of central Ohio’s cores of fine residential architecture. The area is known for its Victorian houses, which were built when a streetcar line first ran along Neil Avenue around 1900. Read More

  • Weinland Park




    Weinland Park is located between Downtown and the University District. It is bounded by 12th Avenue on the north, 5th Avenue on the south, the Conrail Railroad tracks on the west and King Avenue on the East. The park was named for Councilman Edgar L. Weinland in the 1920s. Show Read More

  • Westerville




    Featuring more than 40 parks, a community recreation center, 23 miles of leisure paths, museums, parks, galleries, Historic Uptown District, and Otterbein College, Westerville was founded through the efforts of the Westervelts, early settlers from Dutchess County, New York. The citizens rewarded the philanthropy of the family by naming the Read More

  • Westgate




    Westgate in located in the Greater Hilltop area bounded on West Broad street on the north, Sullivant Avenue on the south, Hague Avenue on the west and Demorest Road on the east. It was once home to Camp Chase confederate prison and cemetery and was developed in the 1920s. Show Read More

  • Whitehall




    In the nineteenth century, Robert Brotherton of White Hall, England obtained a 156-acre plot of land, located between Alum Creek and Big Walnut Creek. A portion of the property became the site of Ye Olde Whitehall Tavern, a popular overnight stagecoach stop along the famous National Road. In the late Read More

  • Woodland Park




    Woodland Park is located only a short distance east from downtown Columbus. It is bounded by Broad Street (along Franklin Park) to Maryland Avenue (along I-671) on the north, Taylor Avenue (near OSU Hospital East) to the west and the Norfolk & Western Railroad tracks (near Nelson Road) to the Read More

  • Worthington




    The city was founded in 1803 by the Scioto Company led by James Kilbourne, who was later elected to the United States House of Representatives, and was named in honor of Thomas Worthington, future governor of Ohio. On February 20, 1808 the Worthington Academy was incorporated by the Ohio legislature Read More

Search Fields

 
Bexley
Brewery District
Canal Winchester
Clintonville
Columbus
Downtown
Dublin
Eastmoor
Franklin Park
Franklinton
Gahanna
German Village
Grandview Heights
Grove City
Groveport
Harrison West
Hilliard
Hilltop
Italian Village
King-Lincoln
Linden
Merion Village
Minerva Park
New Albany
North Linden
Northland
Olde Towne East
Reynoldsburg
Short North
South Side
University District
Upper Arlington
Victorian Village
Weinland Park
Westerville
Westgate
Whitehall
Woodland Park
Worthington
Story
Photograph
Audio/Video
From Date:
To Date: